Leo: Dangerous Chew Toys

Leo: Dangerous Chew Toys

Leo almost bit off more than he could chew… or rather, got stuck in it instead! The four-year-old poodle arrived at our Tanawha hospital one Sunday night after getting his tongue jammed in his piggy chew toy. Leo’s parents were very quick to rush him to us which was...
LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ the Russian Blue and the gladiolus flower

LJ, the 2-year-old Russian Blue, was rushed to the Animal Emergency Service Gold Coast hospital collapsing at home. The culprit? Earlier in the day, he had ingested a small piece of gladiolus flower – a toxic plant for cats.   Many flowers can be toxic to cats...
Healthy sweeteners aren’t so healthy for your dog

Healthy sweeteners aren’t so healthy for your dog

It is common knowledge that animals can become very sick from eating chocolate, but did you know that there are many other everyday foods that are harmful to your furry friends? For instance, gum, avocados, grapes and some nuts can be toxic to animals.  What is...
Ethylene Glycol – A fatal ingredient for your pet

Ethylene Glycol – A fatal ingredient for your pet

Antifreeze, brake fluid and vehicle cooling system ingredients… what do they have in common? A FATAL ingredient for your pet. Have you ever heard of Ethylene Glycol? At Animal Emergency Service, we are far too familiar with the name and it literally makes our heart...

Back to school? Help your pet beat the blues

Back to school and back to work. The fun of the holidays are over and the hustle and bustle of our busy daily lives has resumed. What was once a house full of energy is now all but a memory and reality of normal daily life has hit. Are you ready? Even more...
EASTER: CHOCOLATES AND YOUR PET – A DEADLY COMBINATION

EASTER: CHOCOLATES AND YOUR PET – A DEADLY COMBINATION

As we brace ourselves and make plans for a fun filled easter weekend, let’s make sure a trip the veterinary emergency unit isn’t part of that plan. Easter poses many threats to our furry friends in the form of delicious but deadly treats including...