Rat bait has become an increasingly popular choice for controlling rodents over the years due to the clean nature in which the poison works. Some types of rat bait are anti-coagulants, meaning that it works by causing uncontrolled internal bleeding. Rat bait is an attractive treat – it’s meant to taste delicious to entice rats into chowing down on their last meal. However, there is an increasing number of incidents of ingesting this dangerous poison in our pets. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to spot when your pet has consumed rat bait, as it can take up to five days for symptoms to develop, at which stage your pet is already at a high risk of fatal internal bleeding.

Tips for using rat bait safely

  • Keep rat bait out of reach from pets
  • Keep note of where the bait is placed and if possible, create a barrier around the bait to ensure pets do not enter the area
  • Use a rat sized bait station to place rat bait in, which are guarded and will protect both children and pets from the poison
  • Keep rat bait well away from pet food
  • Some “experts” will advise to use pet food in conjunction with rat bait, as rats are attracted to competing food sources – do not attempt to do this, as pets have a keen nose for their own food and may accidentally track down the bait
  • If going away on holidays or out of the house, store rat bait in clip-seal containers high up in the cupboard and out of reach of pets
  • Use baits when pets are away from the house for prolonged periods of time (such as taking pets on a holiday)


Symptoms to look out for

If your pet does ingest rat bait, or is suspected to have swallowed poison, look out for the symptoms outlined below and seek vet assistance immediately.

  • Lethargy
  • Collapsing
  • Vomiting
  • Pale or white gums
  • Panting
  • Coughing
  • Swollen abdomen
  • Bruises in the mouth or on the skin
  • Swollen joints
  • Bleeding from the nose or mouth

For more information contact your local vet.

Bahuan: From Brazil to Brisbane

It’s not every day that a dog follows its family to the other side of the world. But Bahuan was an extra special pooch that could not be left behind when his owners moved to Australia from Brazil. A birthday present from Leonardo to his wife, it was love at first...

Gizmo: When Play Fights Go Wrong

When play fights go too far. French bulldog Gizmo arrived with extensive dog attack wounds after a rough and tumble with the other two much larger household dogs went terribly wrong. The traumatised one-year-old pup arrived at our Underwood hospital one Sunday...

Boston’s Paralysis Tick Fight (Episode 5 – Bondi Vet: Coast To Coast)

As seen on episode 5 – Bondi Vet: Coast To Coast          Suspecting a deadly paralysis tick, Boston was quickly rushed into Animal Emergency Service by worried owners Rebecca and Wade. By the time he arrived, the poor German Shepherd was completely paralysed from tip...

Marketing Assistant, Underwood (Brisbane)

This role is perfect for students wanting to gain experience in the industry. You will be assisting with a wide range of marketing activities to increase business growth for AEA and its clinics

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!