As many dog owners would know, our furry friends love a good teddy bear or plush toy to keep them company throughout the night or to act as a source of entertainment during the day. While it is quite common for pet owners to give their pooch an old stuffed animal to play with, there are various parts of these toys that can lead to your pet becoming sick and injured. Keep reading to know what you should be mindful of when choosing the toys to let your dog play with…


Not only can the cotton, polyester or plastic beads that often fill stuffed toys lead to a big old mess, but it can cause several severe problems if your pet swallows them. Cotton and polyester can easily block the digestive tract of your pooch, which usually requires expensive surgery and treatment to alleviate. Additionally, plastic beads are a choking hazard that can easily prove fatal for your pooch. Luckily, there are many un-stuffed toys made for dogs nowadays, so consider investing in one for your peace of mind!

Small parts

If you’re a parent to a human baby as well as a fur baby, you have probably heard this one before. Tiny features of toys such as noses and eyes are often glued onto the item and can easily be chewed off over time. This is especially dangerous for smaller dogs as their airways are narrower and can be blocked by tiny objects that you may never consider to be a danger. A simple fix is to keep away from toys with these features or to simply buy items specifically made and safety tested for dogs.


A popular way to entertain both dogs and cats, toys with long strings attached can pose a threat to your pet if left unsupervised. These items can strangle your pet or can severely damage their insides and block their digestive tract if swallowed. Once again, the best way to avoid this is to always invest in reputable pet toys and supervise your pets play time to ensure that they don’t run into any trouble along the way.

If you find that your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t or have become injured after playing with a toy, take them to your local vet or animal hospital immediately for appropriate diagnoses and treatment.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!