Understanding Salt Toxicity in Dogs

Jan 5, 2023 | Dogs, Poisoning and Toxicity

Understanding the Risks and Treatment

Salt toxicity in dogs, or hypernatremia, is a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when there are high levels of salt in the bloodstream. 

While this condition can affect both humans and animals, pets, including dogs, are at risk, especially if they do not have access to fresh water for extended periods or if they consume large amounts of saltwater or salty foods. 

In this article, we’ll explore the dangers of salt toxicity in dogs, the emergency treatment steps to take before reaching a vet, and what to expect during veterinary care.  

Dog drinking fresh water from a plastic bottle held by their owner

Understanding Salt Toxicity in Dogs

Salt toxicity occurs when there is an abnormal increase in the sodium levels in a dog’s bloodstream. Sodium is an essential electrolyte in the body, but when its levels become too high, it can lead to a range of health issues like quickly becoming dehydrated, neurological symptoms. In severe cases it can lead to seizures, brain swelling, and coma. 

Common Causes of Salt Toxicity in Dogs:

  • Limited Access to Fresh Water: Dogs that do not have access to clean, fresh water for extended periods are at risk of becoming dehydrated, leading to an imbalance of sodium in their bodies.  
  • Dogs drinking saltwater: Dogs are naturally curious, and during trips to the beach or near bodies of saltwater, they may ingest saltwater. Saltwater contains a high concentration of salt (sodium chloride), which, if consumed in large quantities, can lead to salt toxicity.  
  • Consuming Salty Foods: Dogs that consume excessive amounts of salty foods, such as chips, pretzels, or foods seasoned heavily with salt, are at risk of salt toxicity. 

The Rising Incidence of Salt Toxicity

In recent years, our veterinary hospitals in Tanawha on the Sunshine Coast and Carrara on the Gold Coast have observed a concerning increase in salt toxicity cases among dogs during the summer months. This surge in cases highlights the importance of raising awareness about salt toxicity and its prevention, especially in coastal regions where saltwater exposure is more common.  

Emergency Treatment: What to Do Before Reaching the Vet

If you suspect that your dog may have ingested a large amount of saltwater or salt-containing substances and is showing signs of salt toxicity, it’s essential to take immediate action. Here are the steps you can take before transporting your pet to a veterinary clinic:  

  • Do Not Allow Excessive Water Intake: While it may be tempting to offer your dog large amounts of water to dilute the excess sodium in their system, doing so can lead to vomiting. Instead, provide small sips of water at regular intervals to avoid further complications.  
  • Monitor Your Pet: Keep a close eye on your dog’s condition. If seizures or severe neurological symptoms occur, contact a vet immediately for guidance on managing the situation.  
  • Do Not Rapidly Decrease Sodium Levels: If your dog’s sodium levels have been elevated for an extended period (more than 12 hours), it’s essential not to reduce these levels too quickly. Rapidly lowering sodium concentrations can lead to dangerous complications, including brain swelling and coma. 
Adult German shepherd dog running across a beach during the day with the sun out

What to Expect at the Vet

Once you arrive at the veterinary clinic, the medical team will take specific steps to assess and treat your dog’s salt toxicity. Here’s what you can expect:  

  • Medications: If your dog is experiencing seizures as a result of salt toxicity, the vet will administer medications to control and manage these seizures.  
  • Blood Tests: Blood tests will be conducted to assess the severity of the illness and the response to treatment. These tests help the vet determine the extent of the sodium imbalance and guide treatment decisions.  
  • Hospitalisation: Depending on the severity of the condition, your dog may need to be hospitalised for close monitoring. This allows the veterinary team to provide immediate care and respond to any changes in neurological symptoms.  
  • Intravenous Fluids: One of the primary treatments for salt toxicity is the administration of intravenous fluids. These fluids help dilute the concentration of sodium in the blood and rehydrate the dog. The rate of fluid administration will be carefully controlled to avoid complications.  

Conclusion: Prioritise Your Dog’s Health and Safety

Salt toxicity in dogs is a serious medical condition that requires immediate attention and treatment. To protect your furry companion, it’s essential to prevent access to salty substances, especially if your dog has a tendency to ingest them. Additionally, always provide access to clean, fresh water to ensure your dog stays properly hydrated.

If you suspect that your dog may have consumed a significant amount of salt or is displaying symptoms of salt toxicity, do not hesitate to seek veterinary care promptly. Your dog’s health and well-being are paramount, and timely intervention can make all the difference in their recovery.

Remember, as responsible pet owners, our vigilance and preventive measures can go a long way in keeping our beloved dogs safe from salt toxicity and other potential health risks.

Contact your local veterinary clinic for any pet emergencies – your pet’s safety is our top priority. Let’s make this summer a memorable and safe one for our pets in Tanawha, the Sunshine Coast, Carrara, and the Gold Coast!

We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples as the Traditional Custodians of the lands, waterways and skies across Australia. We pay our respects to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and Elders past and present.